LUCSUS is initiating and coordinating transdisciplinary research proposals for comprehensive research programs, mainly EU funded. Since LUCSUS is an umbrella organisation, it can create research coalitions with any department at the University on a project by project basis.
The focus on research and education in Sustainability Science spans global, regional and local issues, events and relationships. The focal points are the two major interfaces between Natural and Social sciences and between scientific knowledge and society’s use of this knowledge to promote sustainable development. Sustainability research is developed mainly in the interfaces between existing areas of knowledge and is thus highly interdisciplinary and aims to create new forms of collaboration across disciplinary boundaries and diverse areas of knowledge. Sustainability science uses and further develops a wide range of scientific methods. Both quantitative and qualitative perspectives and data are used and constructed.
Current main research projects at LUCSUS
- Contemplative sustainable futures
- T-GroUP: Experimenting with practical transition groundwater management strategies for the urban poor in Sub Saharan Africa
- NATURVATION – NATure-based Urban innoVATION
- OPERAs – Operational Potential of Ecosystem Research Applications »
- Politics of Land »
- Renewable Energy »
- Community Energy Nepal »
- Sustainable Urban Transformation for Climate Change Adaptation »
- Urban Ecosystem-based Adaptation to Climate Change »
- Building Inclusive Urban Communities »
- Improving Rural Livelihoods through the Diffusion of Sustainable Innovations »
- LUsTT- Land Use Today and Tomorrow »
- Understanding Subsistence Agriculture »